Saturday, January 8, 2011

GUI mk2 starting to form

From my "hello word" style GUI from before, a potentially usable first revision is starting to form. Its focus is mostly going to be on learning to make custom widgets and concurrency/multi-threading issues. It currently looks something like this:
I've gotten some feedback from various people on what they'd want in a disassembler GUI as well as general UI concepts and am pondering them over. It seems like I'm going to have a number of dynamicly generated scrolling text widgets, so I'm going to continue to try to work on how to form that nicely as part of my progress. Disassembly, hex, and strings are currently of this type. I'm not sure if strings really needs to be dynamic, but I figure strings could potentially get quite large for larger programs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, John! I see that this blog may not have been updated in a few years, but that you maintain some other active blogs, so I'm hoping you're still out there.

    I'm searching for some type of universal decompliler to help me understand what kind of processor-structure it will take to run a program file that I extracted from a 1983 system backup tape, of a now extinct system.

    The system clearly falls in the "Vintage Computing" category, and is a Microtech machine, related to a Point 4 processor. Out of context, these names probably mean nothing.

    Please see more about the file that I'm hoping to run, and all I know about the machine that once ran it, on my blog at:

    http://MicrotechM1.blogspot.com

    The program is called "MINICOM DISK TO TAPE COPY UTILITY"

    and here's my blog page with all I know about it:

    http://bit.ly/1j8OxfC

    I'm just wondering if I might be able to apply any of your work with reverse engineering and decompling in order to learn more about this program.

    Thanks, and all the best!
    -AJ

    ReplyDelete